Wednesday, January 7, 2015

H&M Black and White Tweed Skirt

 H&M Black and White Tweed Skirt
It's hard for me to talk about tweed without thinking of Coco Chanel, who pioneered the iconic tweed suit for women. Since Chanel clothing is quite far out of my price range, I'm always on the lookout for affordable pieces that embody CC-inspired details. Tweed, quilting, pearls, satin bows, camelia flowers, chain hardware - sigh, so elegant and timeless. I love it all!!I had a little sticker shock when I saw the price on this skirt, but it is H&M "Trend" which runs more expensive. On that note, I was truly impressed by the workmanship on this skirt - much better than anything I've ever seen in their regular department. The tweed is a tight crosshatch material (looks pretty darn similar to the snippet of Chanel tweed shown above), the skirt is fully lined with piped trim at the inside waistband, and the grossgrain ribbon trim is sturdily stitched on.
And look, if you live in Sweden, you can even order the corresponding jacket online. Wouldn't ever want to wear it together with the skirt, but wouldn't this jacket be adorable with a black or white camelia flower pin? Why do Swedes get all the fun stuff? Better Ikea selection, better H&M selection, H&M online shopping ..

While leaving the store, I was already brainstorming about how to style this skirt. Pearl necklaces and tights are an obvious must, but what kind of top? For cocktail or evening occasions, a flirty ruffled blouse would complement the classic tweed. For a cozy yet elegant look, a soft black cashmere crewneck sweater would be perfect. Too bad I don't own one - I've been on the lookout for a tiny-fitting one for ages.

While wrapped up in my thoughts, I purchased the skirt and left the store without even noticing a glaring window display at the entrance. The next day while on a tea/cofee run, my coworker and I pass by H&M as he casually points out,"Hey, that looks like something you would wear!"
I'm loving this skirt,

Blogger : Catherine Bell
Image : Source

No comments:

Post a Comment